Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Creating a "Hybrid" Kitchen


As I mentioned in my last post, we are currently in the middle of a massive kitchen remodel on our new house.  When my husband, Paul, read my post about creating a completely gluten-free kitchen, his face sank.  He has been so supportive of my need for a gluten-free lifestyle and embraced almost all gluten-free products from pasta, to cereal, to my gluten-free baking.  But the one thing he has not come around to yet is gluten-free sandwich bread.  And I can't say that I blame him.  So far, I have not been able to find a gluten-free sandwich bread that stays moist enough to really be enjoyable for any period of time. So, when he looked at me and sweetly asked, "Does that mean you're not going make me grilled cheese anymore",  I knew I had to re-imagine my kitchen to be a "hybrid kitchen."

After doing research, here are some tips on how to create a kitchen that serves both the gluten-eating and non-gluten-eating alike.  I have to thank the people at fooducopia.com for offering some great tips on creating a celiac-safe kitchen!

Tip #1:  Clearly label all foods in your kitchen to indicate whether or not the food contains any gluten. It's probably easiest to label gluten-free foods "GF."

Tip #2:   Make a cupboard or two of all utensils that are used for cooking things containing gluten.  For instance, have separate frying pans, pasta pots, measuring cups, mixing spoons, toaster, strainer, blender, and even crockpot.  I know that this may seem like overkill, but sharing these items puts you at serious risk for being contaminated.  Make sure you have two of any of these items and you know which ones have touched gluten and which ones are safe.

Tip #3:  You also need to have a cutting board that is designated for products containing gluten.  When I make my hubby my famous grilled cheese ;),  I need to make sure that none of my food comes in contact with that surface.

Tip #4:  Make sure to have two of all spreadable products, like butter, jam, peanut butter, that will come in contact with food containing gluten.  It is probably a good idea to label those products "GF" as well.

I hope these tips help!  If you have any other advice, feel free to leave a comment in the comments section.  Now, I think it's time for me to make a grilled cheese....

No comments:

Post a Comment