Thursday, July 26, 2012

Training for a Half-Marathon

Once I went gluten-free and started feeling healthy again, I started back up with one of my favorite pastimes: running.  For the past 5 years, I have worked hard to get back in to distance running shape.  I ran two marathons and several half-marathons, one of my favorites being the Fueled by Fine Wine Half-Marathon.
Here is a picture from the 2011 race


The race is hard but gorgeous going through the Oregon wine country.  The views are spectacular from the course, almost to make all of the hills worth it.  :)  And to top it all off, your entry fee includes a wine tasting event once you are finished hosted by all of the local vineyards.  What could be better after running 13.1 miles!?  I was all geared up to run this year, too, but I came down with the worst case of stomach flu I ever had.  Saturday night before the race, I was clutching Gatorade in bed barely able to move.  Suffice it to say, I was not going to make it to the race in the morning. :(

Now, feeling better and a month of summer vacation left, I am feeling the need to fit in another half-marathon.  I hate to let all of that training go to waste.  I am thinking of signing up for the Eugene Women's Half Marathon in Eugene, OR.  I ran the Nike Women's Marathon last October during our "mini-moon"; don't I have the best husband?!  I loved the girl-power spirit of that run and I think it will be fun to run another race dedicated to women. And to run in the city of Prefontaine and the Ducks, what could be better!

The race is only a month away and, even though I did a lot of training for the Fueled by Fine Wine Half, I need to keep the training going so I am conditioned for race-day.  I researched different training schedules for half-marathons and I came by some great programs and advice. 

Fitsugar.com has a great beginners' program that you can access here.  This is a great schedule to follow if you are new to half-marathons, coming back from an injury, or just want to run for fun.  Make sure you can run the shorter distances before committing to the program.

Hal Higdon also has great training programs on his site.  What I like about his training programs are that he has something for everyone from the first time half-marathoner, to someone who wants to improve his/her time, to the seasoned/elite half-marathoner.

Nike also has great training programs specific to the Nike Women's Marathon/Half-Marathon.  The best thing I like about their training program is that they include a strength-training program specific to distance runners and injury prevention.  Click here if you want to check it out.

If any of these programs interest you and you are in the Pacific Northwest, come join me at the Eugene Women's Half!  It may not have a wine tasting at the end, but they have chocolates, champagne, and free massages!  


No comments:

Post a Comment