Friday, August 31, 2012

Gluten-Free Brown Butter Mizithra Pasta

This week we finally finished our drywall!  It feels so good to actually have walls and a place to prepare food.  We are getting pretty sick of eating out.  And, by the end of next week, we should have our kitchen cabinets up and ready to go.  But that means we are having a massive "paint party" this weekend. And that also means that my remnants of a kitchen were moved outside.

Since it's such a nice night out, I decided to take advantage of my new "outdoor kitchen" and do a little cooking.  With limited prep space, I wanted to make something simple.  During my first week back at school, my friend Lynn and I talked about how much we love Spaghetti Factory Brown Butter Mizithra Pasta.  She also told me that it was super-easy to make.  All you need is:

  • 1 box of your favorite gluten-free pasta, cooked
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (make sure it is gluten-free)
  • 3/4 cups mizithra cheese
After you cook the pasta, place the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Melt the butter until it starts boiling.

Once it starts boiling and frothing, you need to stir it continuously for about 5 minutes until it stops frothing.  Make sure not to let it boil over because if the butter catches the heat, it will catch on fire.


Once the butter stops foaming, it will start to turn a light brown color.  Cook for another 1-2 minutes until the butter starts to smell like carmel.  Then, remove it from the heat and pour it through a strainer on to the pasta.  Mix it well. Then, add the mizithra cheese and serve.  
This is super-rich and tasty meal.  I think I will share it on Allergy Free Wednesday and Gluten Free Friday....

1 comment:

  1. Drywall is such a BIG project!! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) We are building a great set of gluten free recipes so far! Its making my meal planning easy :) How about yours? See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete