Saturday, August 4, 2012

Saturday Carb Fix: Gluten-Free Waffles

Today was a scorcher here in Portland and I was scheduled for a 10-mile run.  Yikes!  So I needed to have some serious fuel in me if I was going to last.  Since the renovation started,  I have been separated from my much beloved waffle iron.  Today seemed like a good day for a reunion so I brave our stack of boxes in the basement to find it.  My husband must know me pretty well because he put it in box that was easily accessible right out front.  :)

Now when I make waffles, I tend to like them lighter and crispier.  But I totally understand that other people like them a little softer so I will add some variations to the recipe depending on your taste.  Because I like them on the lighter side, I deviate from my usual gluten-free all-purpose flour mix and make one that is special for waffles.  To make this flour you just need equal parts gluten-free starch and medium grain flour.  I usually use tapioca starch and brown rice flour as those are ones that I usually have.  But you can use my gluten-free all-purpose flour mix if you want a softer, chewier waffle.  To start you need:

  • 1/2 cup gluten-free starch and 1/2 cup brown rice flour for a crispier waffle OR 1 1/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk (cow, soy, almond all work fine)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil for crispy waffles OR 1/3 cup oil for softer waffles
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat your waffle iron. (Note: For people with celiac disease or severe gluten-intolerance, a waffle iron is not an appliance you want to share with things that contain gluten.  Keep two on hand or just use gluten-free batter in the waffle iron.) Sift together in a bowl your chosen flour mix, the baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Make sure all of the ingredients are well combined:

Add the milk and the oil to the dry ingredients and stir well.  If you are using an electric mixer, make sure to just combine the ingredients; don't over-mix.  Then, add the eggs one at a time, stirring after each egg is added.  After the eggs are mixed, add your vanilla.  When you are done, your batter should look like this:

If your waffle iron is not nonstick, coat with a gluten-free cooking spray. Scoop about 3/4 cup of the batter on to your preheated waffle iron for a larger waffle.  You can use more or less, depending on how big you like them.  Close the waffle iron and cook for 3-5 minutes.  Once they are done, they should easily remove from the waffle iron and you will have light and crispy or soft and chewy waffles!

After one of these, you'll be fueled up for any run!  As long as your done before it hits 100.  :)

Any gluten-free carbs you like before a long run?  Share them in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment