Sunday, August 5, 2012

Gluten-Free Tacos

When first going gluten-free, it can be overwhelming how many things we take for granted actually contain gluten.  I remember being shocked when I learned that I could no longer have things like soy sauce, Rice Krispies, and even some brands of corn chips.  But one of the things that had gluten that shocked me the most were seasoning packets.  I admit that I used to depend on those a lot for quick meals in a pinch, especially the taco seasoning packet.  I was totally bummed that many of my favorite brands of taco seasoning contained gluten.  How do packets of spices contain gluten?!  There are a couple of brands that are gluten-free, like McCormick and Ortega.  But after a little research, I realized that it is really easy to make your own seasoning without preservatives and less salt and sugar.

This taco seasoning works with ground beef, turkey, or chicken.  The recipe will make enough for about 3-3 1/2 lbs. of meat.  However, it does keep well if you want to save some for later.  I usually make about 1 lb. of ground beef when I make tacos, so I will write the recipe for that.  To start, you will need:

  • 1 lb. of ground beef 
  • 2 tablespoons of gluten free onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons of gluten-free garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon of chile powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried red pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free corn starch
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin (optional)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Gluten-free corn tortillas
  • Your favorite taco toppings
In a bowl, whisk together the onion powder, garlic powder, chile powder, red pepper, oregano, corn starch, salt, sugar, black pepper, and cumin (if you can tolerate).  Make sure all of the ingredients are completely combined.

Brown the ground beef over medium-heat until it is no longer pink in the middle.  Drain the fat in a strainer and return the beef to the heat.  Add the water and 3 tablespoons of the seasoning.  Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to low.  Cook on low heat for about 3-5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.  Once the sauce is thick, remove the beef from the heat.  Add the beef and your favorite taco topping to corn tortillas and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment