Saturday, August 11, 2012

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Pancakes

Saturday is quickly becoming known as my "pancake day".  But, after eating chocolate-peanut butter pie this week, I felt the need to make my pancakes healthier. I love having gluten-free oats in some form for breakfast. They are a good source of fiber and energy as well as being heart healthy, which is really important for me to take in to account.  Today, I decided to make gluten-free oatmeal pancakes.  They do not have any flour or refined sugars and you can easily make them dairy-free if that is what you need.  These pancakes are also really simple to make if you need a quick breakfast.  To start, you need:

  • 1/2 cup certified gluten-free oats (I like Bob's Redmill)
  • 1/3 cup of milk (cow, soy, and almond milk all work fine)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup blueberries (Optional)
In a bowl, mix together the oats, baking powder, and cinnamon. Then add the milk, egg, vanilla, and honey and stir until all the ingredients are well combined:

Blueberries taste great in this mix if you have them.  I didn't have any today or I would have added them. Spray your pan with gluten-free cooking spray and turn your burner to low-heat.  Add about 1/2 cup of the batter to your skillet.  

Cook on one side for about 3 minutes and then carefully flip and cook for 3 minutes on the other side.  This recipe makes about 3, good-sized pancakes. The best thing about these is that you can top them with really anything you like.  If you want a higher protein breakfast, they taste great with peanut-butter or almond butter and jam.  You can also eat them like traditional pancakes with maple syrup and butter.


Now, if I can just get the motivation to go on my run....

If you have any quick breakfasts you like, share them in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment